Saturday, July 17, 2010

8-Week Game Challenge: 'Serene, Simple, Sinister'

Yesterday, I discovered some interesting news. Apparently Enterbrain released an engine called IG Maker, apparently it happened a year ago, and apparently it lets you do Action-RPG setups. While I'm skeptical about the product (it seems too good to be true), it has caused me to put a hold on designing my crazy first chapter of my fantasy world game. (Knight from said game pictured left) No point in planning mechanics if there's a huge chance that, once I get my kickass Windows box back, the gameplay will change.



So, in the meantime, I've decided to challenge myself to an 8-week game. Plan it all, get it all together, and release it, in under 2 months' time. I was reminiscing a week ago about this one RPG Maker game I created while rooming with some old buddies. It was hardly a game at all, just basic template battles and stolen graphics, but as the game expanded, I had them try it. To my surprise, there was a good 30 minutes of entertainment to be had from it, and they legitimately enjoyed it.

I'd like to see what the full effect of having my friends play a completed game, so that's what I'm going to do.

Right now, it's a pretty simple concept. There's a 4x4 'block' map world, each block is, say, 40x40 tiles.(Not sure that'll be the actual size) Each of these blocks can be in a state of serenity (fairy-tale-ish shit), simplicity (simple mythology) or sinister… ousity?(just creepy fable stuffs). You complete quests for representatives of each feel to get the block to change to that type, and once you get the whole world as one type, you beat the game. My other idea for the game is to reward people who keep playing once they beat it; one should be able to complete the game by level 35 or so, but there should be new exciting things to do up till level 100 if someone wants to play the game that long.

We shall see how Serene, Simple, Sinister turns out. For now, I'm getting back to planning, as I have no clue if this is possible in 8 weeks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment