Friday, July 16, 2010

A First Post, and a List of Awesome Games

I've spent a good week and a half wondering how to properly present this idea of a first blog post, and I'm hardly any closer to figuring out exactly what I'm trying to do. Between my coworkers randomly running off to complete what seems to be side-quests from Animal Crossing and my own apparent inability to consume fish without being stricken with the plague, I've spent the majority of the time wondering when the hell all this is going to be over and the metaphysical joke that is my life will reach its' "Oh, that was all worth it" punchline.

In lieu of this, I shall progress with this article.

These days, games are terrible. And I don't mean 'Exodus' for the Sega Genesis terrible, where what you do is pretty fun, so long as you don't pay attention to the propogandaic religious psycho-babble quizzing in between each level. No, I mean the type of terrible where you are smashing the controller into your cat as you realize the 'next step' of evolution for a particular game mechanic that you imagined 10 fucking years ago is yet again ignored and you realize within the first 5 minutes you've just wasted $10 renting a 'Press A, repeat' piece of shit that James Cameron's special effects team may have shat out in between smugness seminars(I did kinda dig Avatar though).

It has firmly been my belief since the release of the XBox and Gamecube and all that early-2000's gameshit that the industry in general has been headed in the wrong direction. I've been waiting for a AAA title game with 100 NPCs on-screen, interact-able, killable, robbable, recruitable, since N64. Or deformable terrain. Or any number of awesome pieces of a compelling and fun world that studios can 'get away' with leaving out, so long as they've sharpened the knife-edge of graphics to one nano-meter thinner than the last game.

Well, I have no counterpoint to that setup. No 'Good news!' or anything. However, I have composed a list of 10 games that greatly influenced me, leading up to 1998 when I got my first handheld (with Link's Awakening) and N64 (with Ocarina). I'm not going to even list Ocarina in a list like this, mainly because it's pretty fuckin obvious that game will be in every similar list ever. I'm not wasting my time to tell you non-readers what you already know. But I will list out 10 games, and I will then, at a later date, explain why I love these games. Even when they crash every fucking time you open the menu.

Here's my list, in no particular order, and with video of the gameplay. Also, you can download Corridor 7 for free apparently. Although I haven't tried it, I'm including the link anyways.

a)Earthsiege II



b)Magic Carpet
Example of gameplay at a low level:


Aaand, once you're at a higher level:



c)Shining Force



d)Castles II



e)Out of this World



f)Alone in the Dark



g)Corridor 7


And here's where you can get it free: http://corridor7.tripod.com/


h)LotR - The Two Towers



i)Theme Park



j)Link's Awakening

No comments:

Post a Comment